has continued their trend of major scoops by unveiling Batman: Arkham Knight as their newest front cover. Arkham Knight is the finale in Rocksteady’s popular series of Batman: Arkham titles, and is a new-gen exclusive. Gamplay details include a brand new antagonist named “Arkham Knight” designed by Rocksteady and a mind-bogglingly detailed Batmobile. GameStop earlier revealed that Arkham Knight will be releasing October 14th this year.
Super gaming forum Neogaf has summarised all of the key details from the Game Informer article, which features tons of juicy information about the upcoming game.
Among the highlights are that it features a “brand new villain” created by Rocksteady who is called ‘Arkham Knight'; there will be new moves for Bats to perform using the batmobile; there are some insanely high polygon counts (one character model has the same as the Arkham Asylum environments); and that the batmobile has been designed to be the best car to ever feature in a game – ever.
The batmobile is so detailed it takes up around 160mb of memory alone due to the textures, shaders, and hundreds and thousands of polygons used. With the Xbox 360 only having 512mb of RAM and 256mb of that being dedicated to the CPU, that’s more than half a full Xbox 360 before anything else is even added. It’s basically a full Xbox 360 game.
There is also confirmed to be no multiplayer whatsoever – Arkham Knight is a single player game through-and-through. The map will be a massive 5 times larger than Arkham City (wow!) and there will be absolutely no load times, including when transitioning into buildings.
Batman will be a more versatile character this time around, able to use his weapons and gadgets in mid-flight, take advantage of new freeflow combat and predator moves, and put the batmobile to various uses.
The total summary is below. Hat-tip again to Neogaf for the great work.
- Last Batman game for Rocksteady, will work on something totally new next.
- There will be a brand new villain, something made by Rocksteady that they say will be the ultimate test for Batman
- Batmobile can be called at any moment with a button.
- The city streets are much wider to allow for the batmobile. You will rocket jump off ramps and do all sorts of cool maneuvers.
- You can eject jump out of the batmobile right into a super fast glide straight through the glass of a building to knock out enemies. They said glass breaking will be a big new thing.
- New moves include being able to use all your gadgets during flight. You now have a counter throw where you counter a guy and throw him into another guy. A new quick ground takedown. A quick backflip where you then throw a batarang in an enemies face.
- For the predator sections you can now chain takedowns of up to four enemies. For instance pop out of a grate and take one guy, jump to the next and so on. You can now enter grates from a distance, he will automatically do a jump or roll to enter them.
- Riddler challenges seem to be car based. The first one has you enter a sort of Riddler race track where you have to activate walls and ramps, when you activate one another closes so as you drive you have to be constantly turning on and off these ramps as you navigate the course.
- Batmobile fires missles and stun guns. It destroys anything it touches so if you bump into cars the cars go flying. It’s basically unstoppable.
- Story is that after Joker’s death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman. The article talks mostly about Scarecrow, he scattered bombs throughout Gotham.
- Oracle will play a larger role, you get to visit her base and talk to her, tons of batman easter eggs included.
- Kevin Conroy is Batman, all the previous voice actors are back.
- Gothom City is 5 times bigger than AC. Split into 3 areas. NO LOAD TIMES at all, entering buildings is seemless.
- They spend a bunch of time talking about how detailed the models are, one character has more polygons than the environment of Asylum.
- Batman will start off with the old batsuit and upgrade at some point in the game.
- It says it is running on their modified Unreal engine.
- All quickfire gadgets can now be used during flight.
- Combat tweaks (note: Not enough time to go over these in detail. for example, you can throw by tilting left towards the opponent and hitting counter)
- did I mention the screenshots are gorgeous?
- Arkham Knight isn’t just the name of the game.. it’s also the name of the [new] villain.
- Fear Takedowns. ie, burst out of grate, action slows down allowing you to target another goon for another attack and so on. Can be used on groups up to 3 as long as they’re close enough together and no one has already spotted Batman.
- They seem to try to tackle the old school Arkham issue of “open door – black screen loading”
- The game looks gorgeous. Huge.
- “This is a single-player game. There is no multiplayer.”
- You can launch into a fast glide from the Batmobile just like the trailer.
- No more pre-rendered cinematics everything is done in engine
- The larger riots can have up to 50 people flipping cars and looting stores
- You can now use the linear launcher on anything to create ziplines. This is done in mid flight so you can quickly land where you want.
- All enemies now have the ability to grapple Batman, not just big guys.
- Roads wont have many vehicles, just some thug cars and cop cruisers
- There can be enemy riots, up to 50 enemies on screen at once.
- More Riddler type challenges than just racing.
- By not being cross-gen they’ve been able to push what the machines can do
- Rocksteady describe Arkham Knight as “a real, genuine next-gen game”
- There is no multiplayer in Arkham Knight. Rocksteady is focused on “making the best single-player experience it can” and doesn’t feel it needs multiplayer.
- Game Informer says Rocksteady isn’t saying what’s next but “it’s most definitely not Batman related”
- The finale has been in mind since the development of Arkham City
- Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don’t want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant
- Batmobile is designed to be “the best car in any game ever”, it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it
- -Things such as Gordon’s trench coat and Batman’s cape now have Apex cloth physics. They react realistically to changes in wind and movement
- -When it rains rains bead of water run down Batman’s suit tracing every groove
- -The wrinkles on Gordon’s face crinkle as he talks
- The City
- -The city is as detailed as ever with realistic moving clouds with the moon shining through
- -Halloween characters and balloons litter the street adding a creepy vibe
- -Neon signs of the various shops shine brightly around the city
- -The skyline has helicopters and blimps flying through it
- -Steam puffs out of the sewers in a realistic way